Saturday, December 31, 2005

My New Years Wish

I want to wish everyone a Happy New Year.

I hope the coming year will be better for everyone.

I wish my vision of the coming year were brighter.

Honestly, my personal view of the last five years has been truly miserable overshadowed by the secrets, lies and failures of the Bush misadministration. I hold a deep fear that things will only get worse and that not only will they continue along unchecked by Congress, but that they will ultimately never be held accountable.

I hope that I am in absolute error on this account because I truly believe that the current path is leading to the end of American democracy as the sheeple sleep and believe in false dreams inspired by the lies of BushCo, like over 25% of the population that believes that Iraq had WMD when we invaded, that Saddam was involved in 9/11, and at least several of the hijackers were Iraqi.

I think the final straw that will break the back of our democracy will be if Bush’s violation of the Constitution in ordering the NSA to perform domestic surveillance goes unchecked and unpunished.

"If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier...just as long as I'm the dictator..."
--George W. Bush, Washington, DC, Dec 18, 2000, during his first trip to Washington as President-Elect


Five years ago who would have thought that this man (and I use that word lightly) would have led this country to the point where he feebly attempts to tell the citizens of the Untied States and rest of the world that he is not a dictator, he believes in democracy (as long as you trust his secret executive orders and that he is above the law), that he believes in checks in balances (as long as they are not done on him), he believes in a free press (as long as they can be paid to tell only the stories he wants and coerced into suppressing any negative news of the misadministration), the United States does not torture (despite all evidence to the contrary and his threatening to veto any anti-torture legislation), the environment is being protected (just not as well as it was in the past and businesses which are major polluters know how to self-regulate), there is no corporate cronyism (even if Vice President Dick Cheney still receives compensation from Haliburton and millions of dollars of stock), and he has the right to order domestic spying on US citizens with no explanation to or oversight by Congress.

So, my New Years wish:

Please let me be wrong.
Please let the coming year bring a brighter vision through the strength of The Constitution of the United Stated, the return of a truly free press and the perseverance of our democracy.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lew Scannon said...

My feelings for the new year are dire as well. NATO has informed our allies that the US is gearing up to strike Iran, another war that has no connection to the GSAVE (Global Struggle Advocating Violent Extremism) but rather have more to do with the Empirical designs of the Neocons. My wish is to be wrong, for that is not such an uncommon thing for me to be.. happy new year!

10:24 PM, December 31, 2005  
Blogger Lily said...

(Lew's hardly wrong, I read his blog every day. He's awesome, if a bit angry!!!)
I am not very hopeful either, it seems the longer I live, with each year, the more I expect moronic behavior to slip past the public's radar. With age comes reality!
What I wouldn't give to see some accountability.
Anyway, keep on.....

3:18 AM, January 01, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home