Monday, February 12, 2007

Happy Birthday, Charlie!



Celebrate Charles Darwin's birthday by visiting the The Friends of Charles Darwin.

Charlie Is My Darwin
by Torn Rubbers

'Twas in the year of 'fifty-nine
That Charlie told it clear:
'Tis nought but chance selection, boys,
The reason we are here, oh

Chorus:
Charlie is my Darwin, my Darwin, my Darwin,
Charlie is my Darwin,
Our one great pioneer.

He sailed the oceans of the Earth
To countries far and near,
He spent his youth in search of truth
A-followin' his idea, oh

(Charlie is my Darwin etc.)

Although he'd borne the church's scorn,
He faced 'em without fear.
He spent his wealth and risked his health
To share his Big Idea, oh

(Charlie is my Darwin etc.)

And poor old Bishop Wilberforce
So foolish did appear:
With Huxley's guile and Hooker's smile
They raised a mighty cheer, oh

(Charlie is my Darwin etc.)

There's poor Lamarck, way off the mark,
And Wallace went astray,
Then Mendel's beans and talk of genes
Saw Charlie win the day, oh

(Charlie is my Darwin etc.)

There's Dawkins, Gould and Lewontin
Still arguing the toss,
But none of them would yet deny
That Charlie's still the boss, oh

(Charlie is my Darwin etc.)

1 Comments:

Blogger Michael said...

Hey! Happy Birthday to the great man,. You have made our country proud. Thanks for bringing about an unprecedented scientific revolution in history.
Check out my blog on birthday e-cards for some interesting info and wonderful e-cards.

1:15 AM, February 13, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home